What does it mean to ‘reinvent’ yourself?
According to the Cambridge Dictionary, ‘reinvent’ means ‘to produce something new that is based on something that already exists’. For example, the story of Romeo and Juliet was reinvented as a Los Angeles gangster movie.
To ‘reinvent yourself’ may mean ‘to change your job and/or the way you look and behave so that you seem very different’. For example an accountant may reinvent herself as a nutritionist or coach, possibly training at night or on weekends until qualified. Or someone may drop several dress sizes, attract their soul mate or finally reach their dream of having a baby to reach their goals and dreams.
But I don’t believe reinvention is about becoming someone else or necessarily doing something else. I feel it’s about letting go of who you no longer are and becoming the person you always wanted to be.
Every day we get a chance to reinvent ourselves. You get to choose.
Here are my 6 Steps to Reinvent Your Reality-:
- Get aware. You know something isn’t right. Journal for an hour about what’s not working in your life. Do a complete brain dump and get it all out of your head onto paper.
- Get messy. You have my permission to completely fall apart and stop trying to be so freaking perfect. Start to be very truthful with yourself and take an honest look at what isn’t feeling right in your life.
- Get clarity. It’s time to work out what you want. This can be the hardest part for many. If I had a magic wand (I do) and we were speaking this day next year, what would you LOVE to be telling me? If there was no fear of failure, if you stopped worrying what other people think, if you stopped stopping yourself constantly, what would you be telling me?
- Get past the fear. This is the bit where most people stop. Fear never completely goes away but it does get easier to manage as you build your toolkit with skills on how to handle it. If we let fear stop us then we’ll never stretch ourselves and never get the reinvention we crave.
- Get a plan. Your prescription for your dreams is important. A step by step strategy is a must so you simply can’t fail. All you have to do is know when you have to when.
- Get working your plan. Reinvention happens.
If you’d like to talk about your own personal reinvention, whether it’s a new career, business or body you’re looking for, please email me at email@example.com with ‘Reinvent’ in the subject line.